This is a long overdue post … as you know I am not a consistent blogger. Just take a look. I am trying to change my ways. Time management can either be a friend or a frenemy. We use to be frenemies but we are making our way to friendship and I would like to thank evernote. I try to resist the digital age when it came to notebooks and books but I have been won over. I really didn’t understand what evernote could do until I lost my recipe notebooks among all the craziness of The Move 2014. It was not THE move so settle down and let’s talk turkey, ground turkey.
I love homemade turkey burgers and not a big fan of the frozen turkey burgers. A turkey burger can make me as happy as a beef burger.
I truly think it’s in the flavorings and toppings. You know what is good in ground turkey. Onions, Onions, and more onions with some garlic and even mushrooms. This is not a burger to eat if you plan to get close to someone, just sayin’.
Enter the triple onion turkey burger. It contains caramelized onions both in the ground mix and as a topper. The seasoning is a packet of dry onion mix. The rest of the ingredients inside this amazeballs burger is just bonus. When you sandwich it between some potato buns … oh to the m to the g.
I’ve been working on this recipe for awhile now so this has also slowed my progress in reviewing the Calphalon 5 in 1 grill.
What is the Calphalon 5 in 1 grill you ask? It’s a versatile grill that will have you giving away your indoor grill du jour, panini maker, and griddle. Yes, it’s that good.
The Calphalon 5 in 1 grill. I am in love with this grill. LOVE! George Foreman who? I coveted this grill when I attended Eat Write Retreat last year. It was used to make grilled pizzas … which I did not get to eat but it’s ok. I have the grill and I can make my own. Perhaps this weekend (it always comes back to food). Note: If you want to grill pizzas on the Calphalon grill use the sear setting.
I have had the Calphalon grill for way over six months and I still have not used it to the max!
Truly the possibilities are endless; from pancakes to steaks and anything in between. The Calphalon grill is user friendly and the temperature can range from 225 F to 425 F along with a sear function.
My favorite dish to make thus far is seafood and burgers. I still need to practice with steaks and chicken. It’s all user error — trust me. I’m that person who uses the product first and read the directions last. Is that you, too?
My favorite feature on the grill … the removable plates (that are dishwasher friendly) and the fact it can be a griddle or a grill. Also you can griddle or grill with the it opened (which increases the space real estate) or closed (dual cooking).
The only downside for me is that I can’t seem to achieve those pretty grill lines … you know you want it … (It’s 2014 and the song Blurred Lines is still taking up space in my head.)
Overall thoughts: A great investment to have since the grill has multi uses and is easy to clean. The Opti-Heat System allows for reliable and accurate heating results. Better for a singleton or small family versus a large family.
The Calphalon 5 in 1 grill can be purchased through Amazon, Bed Bath and Beyond, Macys, Bloomingdales, and Calphalon. It’s easy to understand why Calphalon is the leader in premium cookware and kitchenware.
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons panko
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 to 1.13 ounce(s) dry onion dip mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 to 5 slices Swiss Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a heated skillet add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and dice onions. Add a pinch of two of salt and cook until caramelized. Approximately 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Set aside 1/4 cup of the onions for topping.
- In a large bowl add ground turkey, mushrooms, panko, Parmesan, dry onion soup mix, minced garlic, remaining olive oil, Worcestershire sauce , and cooled caramelized onions. Fold until incorporated. Shape into 1/4 pound patties. Place on a plate and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Turn Calphalon grill on to 400 F or Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Remove burger patties from refrigerator. Sprinkle patties with salt before grilling our placing in oven.
- If using the Calphalon grill; place burger patties on the grill/griddle (you choose) and close. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes. If using oven cook for 7 to 8 minutes each side. When cooking burgers in oven you are looking for juices to run clear.
- Remove from grill or oven. Top with swiss cheese and remaining cooked onions, serve on your hamburger bun of choice.
- Topping suggestions: sliced tomato, ranch or blue cheese spread. A nice compliment to the burger. Also can take the remaining sliced mushrooms and saute. Another great topping to a this turkey burger!