It’s that time again … The Leftover’s Club time. You know when food bloggers are paired up to send their delicious treats throughout the world and spreading sunshine on the first Thursdays of the month. Of course I’m always thinking what should I make for my assigned partner and usually there is some kind of procrastinating involved. I thought about cupcakes but with the summer heat they would be more like melty cakes. I wish I could send icecream but that would just be a hot mess! Heat makes things a touch difficult but not impossible.
A favorite fave of summer for me is lemon. It is such a palette cleanser and oh so refreshing. It’s usually not heavy and I like to avoid the heavy during the summer. Light and bright with a taste that is out of sight — that’s my motto for summer.
Luckily, my partner this month — Kim from Feed Me, Seymour is also a lover of the easy peasy and the good, the sweet, the meat, and the carbs. She is also a nail polish and beauty product lover … I can get behind this!! I think we could be soul-mates Hello, check out this post for Gouda Caramelized Onion Grill Cheese Sandwich it speaks to me and she references She’s the Man. I love that movie and yes, the soundtrack is pretty damn awesome (I have the CD).
So I got to thinking— cookies; great for packing (even in the heat). Hmmmmm, chocolate chip cookies but with lemon accents. Replace the chocolate with lemon chips add lemon peel and lemon curd. Finish with Golden Oreos (which are better than original Oreos). It’s cray cray CRAZY Ah-Maze, jammers! Sorry, but not sorry, I’ve been watching the show Playing House on USA — I love it and I want to quote it and add all the one liners to my vocab. Girl Power! It’s been added to my show of shows.
Back to the cookies … My co-workers approved. I found the lemon to be subtle and as the cookies cool the lemon comes across more. To me it resembled a softer Golden Oreo Lemon Creme cookie. If you can’t find lemon chips … and you might not. I had to order them online. Yes, I am that girl. Try subbing with white chips.
Don’t forget … if you a food blogger that loves getting mail that contains treats? Are you looking for a way to network with other bloggers? Are you looking for a way to get your blog out into the world wide web? Then be sure to sign up for The Leftover’s Club. Go ahead an stretch those wings!
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1/4 cup lemon curd
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup lemon chips
- 1 cup Golden Oreos, coarsely chopped
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter for approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually add the following: Add lemon curd and lemon peel and mix. Add brown sugar and white sugar and continue mix. Add egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix. Mixture should be light in color. Slowly add the dry sifted ingredients to the wet. Once incorporated fold in the lemon chips and chopped Golden oreos. Refrigerate dough for at least 8 hours before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Use a small scoop and scoop out cookie batter onto either a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes. Cool and repeat until all cookie dough is baked. Serve and eat.